COVID-19 pandemic can be very stressful. Fear and anxiety about new illness and what might happen can have negative effects on the mental well-being of both adults and children. Besides, reducing social contact to avoid spreading can evoke feelings of isolation and loneliness, thus increasing stress and anxiety. However, it is still the most effective strategy in the fight against the pandemic.
Remember, that mental health is as important as physical health.
Stress during a pandemic can cause
- Feelings of fear or anxiety
- Mood swings (e.g. anger)
- Changes in eating habits (e.g. loss of appetite or increased need for food)
- Sleep problems (e.g. difficulty falling asleep, waking up at night) or concentration
- Worsening of chronic health problems
- Increased need for tobacco and/or alcohol and other substances.
How to help with anxiety?
8 recommendations prepared by the organization Nevypusť Duši:
- Take a deep breath
- Try to remind yourself, that the anxiety attack will go away
- Try to breathe calmly
- Relax your muscles
- Try to focus on something else
- Don`t be afraid to ask for help
- Try to relax
- Take care of yourself